High-Quality Instructional Materials
A growing body of research points to the positive impact high-quality instructional materials (HQIM) can have on student learning. °Ä²Ê¿ª½±Íø defines full-subject high-quality materials as those that ensure full coverage of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), align with research-based instructional strategies in each subject area, and support all learners.Ìý ÌýÌý
What are Full-Subject HQIM?Ìý
HQIM are curricular resources that:Ìý
- Ensure full coverage of TEKS
- Are aligned to evidence-based best practices in the relevant content areas of reading language arts (RLA), math, science, and social studies
- Support all learners, including students with disabilities, English Learners, and students identified as gifted and talentedÌý
- EnableÌýfrequent progress monitoring through embedded and aligned assessments
- IncludeÌýimplementation supports for teachers
- Provide teacher and student-facing lesson-level materials
Why are HQIM Important?Ìý
HQIM allow students to engage more deeply and meaningfully with the Texas standards and supports teachers in ensuring all students have access to high-quality and rigorous grade-level content. Student outcomes improve when they have greater access to:Ìý
- Grade-appropriate assignmentsÌý
- Strong instructionÌý
- Deep engagement; andÌý
- Teachers with high expectationsÌý
HQIM provides teachers with a foundational resource that ensures all students will have access to rigorous, grade-level content.
The Relationship Between HQIM and OER
HQIMÌýwill be defined by the Instructional Materials Review and Approval (IMRA) process set up by House Bill (HB) 1605. All materials will require official review in the IMRA process by the State Board of Education (SBOE) to be approved as HQIM.
Open Education Resources (OER)Ìýare materials where the underlying intellectual property can be used freely.ÌýTexas OER developed by °Ä²Ê¿ª½±ÍøÌýare materials where the state either owns the underlying intellectual property or it can be freely used and modified by the state in perpetuity.
Current pilot materialsÌýmeet the working definition of HQIM, and in the future all Texas OER materials, if approved by the SBOE, will be defined as HQIM under the IMRA process.Ìý
- Update on the Commissionerâ€™s List of Recommended Phonics ProgramsÌý(PDF) February 16, 2023Ìý
- Frequently Asked Questions (coming soon)Ìý