Welcome to the Office of Educator Testing at the Texas Education Agency. The Office of Educator Testing is responsible for the overall management and monitoring of the statewide educator certification testing contract as well as the development and implementation of testing rules. This page provides testing information related to obtaining a Texas educator certificate. Texas law requires that educators pass appropriate tests to become certified. The appropriate examination(s) required for certification are specified in theÌýTexas Administrative Code, Â§230.21(e). Further information about current, past and future tests may be found below:
Information related to testing is available below:
- ÌýTest Registration and Preparation
- ÌýPre Admissions Content Testing (PACT)
- ÌýTest Approval
- ÌýTest Scores and Reports
- ÌýTest Center Comments and Complaints
- ÌýTest-Limit Waiver Information
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Test Exemption Information
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Test Exemption InstructionsÌý
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Test Exemption ApplicationÌý
- Audiologist Report FormÌý
Please submit a Help Desk ticket for additional guidance.
Please submit completed applications through the .
Testing Announcements and UpdatesÌý
Educator Preparation Program Exam Vouchers
Ìýto provide candidates with codes to be used during registration for a Texas educator certification exam. Please contact your preparation program for more information.Ìý
Early Childhood PK-3 #292 Certification
TheÌýÌýÌýis not an exam available to be taken under the "Ìýoption. It requires specific coursework and training to be completed with anÌý. Please contact an approved educator preparation program for exam approval. TheÌýEarly Childhood PK-3 FAQÌýis now available to address common inquiries.Ìý
Educator Certification Examination Retake Limit Change
Candidates are limited to a total of 5 attempts to pass a certification examination underÌý. Beginning September 1, 2018, all attempts of the same examination, no matter when they occurred, will count toward the 5-attempt testing limit regardless of when the examination was first attempted.
Candidates who reach the 5-time testing limit must apply for a test-limit waiver to retest.
Note: TX PACT examinations are not subject to the 5-time test limit. Please visit www.tea.texas.gov/tlw
Testing Vendor Updates
- Texas Educator Certification Examination Program 1-800-877-4599
Mask requirements will be stated in your appointment reminder email, or you may call the test center directly to verify their requirements.ÌýCandidates who do not comply may forfeit their ability to take current and future exams. Pearson will not issue refunds to candidates who do not comply.Ìý
The search functionality on Pearsonâ€™sÌýe remains an excellent way for candidates to verify specific test center requirements.Ìý
â€“ Performance Assessment for School Leaders 1-855-628-5088
The PASL Assessment Spring 2024 dates are posted on theÌýÌýpage.Ìý
The Ìýpage contains a link to the guidance document for candidates who may be submitting their PASL assessment tasks while working in a virtual learning environment.Ìý
TheÌýÌýpage has been updated to include a virtual learning response for each textbox.
Additional information is also available atÌý
Teacher Certification Exam Updates
The following content-pedagogy assessments will be updated to include both multiple-choice and constructed-response questions.Ìý The dates below represent the current target launch date and are subject to change to a later date.Ìý Any updates to the schedule will be made on this site.ÌýÌý
All new assessments will have exam frameworks released about 12-18 months before the scheduled launch date on thisÌýwebsite.
Opportunities to Participate in Exam Development CommitteesÌý
There are upcoming opportunities for Texas educators to participate in exam development committees. Committee members receive Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits for their participation in these exam development activities.ÌýÌý
Ìýfor information about the development process, the types of meetings conducted, and how to get involved.
September 2, 2024
- 7-12 ELAR - 331
- exam #231Ìýwill be available until September 1, 2024, and can be used for certification through September 1, 2025.Ìý
- new #331Ìýfirst administration will be on September 2, 2024, with aÌý date of September 27, 2024.Ìý
- Updated:ÌýELAR 7-12 (331) informational one-pagerÌýis nowÌýavailableÌýto address timelines and other frequently asked questions related to the exam launch, program requirements, and candidate preparation resources.Ìý
- EC-12 Physical Education - 258
- exam #158Ìýwill be available until September 1, 2024, and can be used for certification through September 1, 2025.Ìý
- new #258Ìýfirst administration will be on September 2, 2024, with aÌý date of September 27, 2024.Ìý
- Updated:ÌýPhysical Education EC-12 (258)Ìýinformational one-pagerÌýis now available to address timelines and other frequently asked questions related to the exam launch, program requirements, and candidate preparation resources.Ìý
- EC-12 Health 257
- exam #157 will be available until September 1, 2024, and can be used for certification through September 1, 2025.Ìý
- new #257Ìýfirst administration will be on September 2, 2024, with aÌý date of September 27, 2024.Ìý
- Updated:ÌýHealth EC-12 (257)Ìýinformational one-pager is now available to address timelines and other frequently asked questions related to the exam launch, program requirements, and candidate preparation resources.Ìý
No earlier than September 2025
Exact dates to be determined. Approved new or updated exam frameworks will beÌýposted onlineÌýas soon as they become available.Ìý
No earlier than September 2026
- Bilingual Spanish Supplemental
- Bilingual Special Education EC-12
No earlier than September 2027
- School Librarian (250)
- Reading Specialist (251)
No earlier than September 2028
- ESL Supplemental
Staff are available and quickly responding via theÌý.
Please submit a Help Desk ticket through the link above.Ìý
Or messages can be leftÌýat 512-463-9039.Ìý